Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Say It Loud! - Friday, July 19th

As you might have noticed (or maybe not), I haven't been posting much lately. As the previous entry alludes to, I've been dealing with a MAJOR life-altering situation and it's safe to say that it's been sucking up most of my time and energy. As things start to settle (whatever that looks like), I will definitely get back in the swing of things and get back to posting numerous times per week.

That being said, I would like to let everyone know that I've decided to start a new bi-monthly happy hour event in Oakland at a great spot called Disco Volante that kicks off July 19th. This new happy hour function will be called Say It Loud! and will feature me (Pat Les Stache) spinning 3 hours of funky groove-orient soul jazz. Everything from Roy Ayers, Donald Byrd, Gil Scott-Heron, Johnny "Hammond" Smith, Gary Bartz and Blue Mitchell, to funky and rare selections released off of Strata-East, Black Jazz, Detroit's Tribe, Mainstream Records and much more. The event will take place from 7pm-10pm every 1st and 3rd Saturday and lead right into a live set from San Francisco's abstract jazz-funk trio Broun Fellinis.

I'm very excited about this bi-monthly event, as it's something I've wanted to do in the East Bay for a while now. What I've always found with successful monthly functions is that they must get off to a good start, therefore I would truly appreciate each and everyone coming out and supporting me, having a drink (or many), hangin' out while listening to some great music.

I thought it would only be appropriate to feature the song that helped inspire the name of the happy hour function, therefore here is Lou Donaldson's 1969 rendition of James Brown's "Say It Loud (I'm Black And I'm Proud)". Enjoy!

Lou Donaldson - Say It Loud (I'm Black And I'm Proud)

No comments:

Post a Comment