Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Andrew Hill - Black Fire


Today I thought I would feature one of my all-time favorite recordings, and a record I recently picked up while I was in New York, in Andrew Hill's 1964 post bop classic Black Fire. This record, which was released by Blue Note, features an amazing lineup of jazz heavy-weights that includes Hill (piano), Richard Davis (bass), Joe Henderson (tenor saxophone), and Roy Haynes (drums). The entire recording is very rhythmic, blending Hill's signature bop sound with some slightly more avant-garde free moments that results in one of the pianist's most dynamic and groundbreaking recordings. Some of my favorite tracks include "Pumpkin", "Tired Trade", "McNeil Island", "Land of Nod", and the amazing title track "Black Fire". A brilliant masterpeice from one of jazz music's greatest pianist and composers. ENJOY!

Andrew Hill - Black Fire


No comments:

Post a Comment