SFJAZZ Hotplate event, which payed tribute to saxophone legend Cannonball Adderley, featured an incredible performance from an impressive group of local Bay Area musicians led by local jazz alto saxophonist Larry De La Cruz. The sextet, which also featured Mike Zilber (tenor sax), John Worley (trumpet), Adam Shulman (piano), Dan Feiszli (bass) and Jon Arkin (drums), played a very energetic set that included a number of Cannonball's most notable tracks as a leader like "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" and "The Sleeper", as well as a few selections that the alto saxophonist contributed to as a sideman including "So What" off of Miles Davis' 1959 classic recording "Kind of Blue".
I had the privilege of both opening the show with an hour long deejay set and playing during the brief intermission. I included both original material from many of Cannonball's recordings mixed in with a number of swingin' bebop and hard bop gems in the spirit of the legendary saxophonist. Throughout my deejay set, I had many people walk up to me and ask me about the music I was playing and therefore decided to put together a short hour long mix of the tracks that I included during my set. Below is both the streaming audio mix, as well as the tracklisting.
Next month's SFJAZZ Hotplate event will feature Chloe Jane Scott paying tribute to legendary jazz flutist Hubert Laws. Should be another incredible show, so don't miss it!
Feb. 2012 SFJAZZ Hotplate Mix
Stream | Download
01. Cannonball & Coltrane - The Sleeper - 1959
02. Lee Morgan - Somethin' Cute - 1966
03. Joe Henderson - Caribbean Fire Dance - 1959
04. Jackie McLean - Jossa Bossa - 1966
05. Cannonball Adderley - Bohemia After Dark - 1960
06. Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - Ping Pong - 1963
07. John Coltrane & Paul Chambers - Eastbound - 1956
08. Cannonball & Coltrane - Grand Central - 1959
09. Elvin Jones/ Jimmy Garrison Sextet - Half and Half - 1963
10. Cannonball Adderley feat. Yusef Lateef - Brother John - 1969
Visit sgjazzhotplate.org to learn more about SFJAZZ Hotplate and to view all the upcoming events.