Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Harlem River Drive - Idle Hands


The next SFJAZZ Hotplate is this Thursday Night at Amnesia (853 Valencia Street, San Francisco). The night will feature SFJAZZ Education Director and accomplished renowned pianist Rebeca Mauleón paying tribute to Latin jazz and salsa legend Eddie Palmieri. I will get things started an hour prior to the show with a deejay set starting at 8pm. I'll be breaking out all my favorite Latin, boogaloo, and Cumbia records from my collection. Should be one of the best Hotplate events to date, so get their early and grab a good spot for the show.

To help pay tribute to the 2013 NEA Jazz Master Honoree, I thought I would feature some of my personal favorite recordings this week from the legendary pianist and composer. Here is Palmieri and his group Harlem River Drive (featuring Eddie's older brother Charlie Palmieri) with the soulful Latin gem "Idle Hands". This track was included on the group's 1971 debut self-titled record. A true gem that brings together Stax Records-like sixties soul/funk with Palmieri's Latin roots. Enjoy!

Harlem River Drive - Idle Hands


No comments:

Post a Comment