SFJAZZ Blog that I recommend checking out.
Anyways, by now I'm sure many of you know that yesterday would have been Joe Henderson's 76th birthday. The late tenor saxophonist is by far one of my favorite musicians of all-time. Browsing through many of the hundreds of jazz records I have at home, it's easy to come across his name either as a leader or, in many instances, as a sideman. During his life, Joe Henderson contributed to more than 200 recording dates while also making a name for himself with his own releases on labels like Blue Note, Milestone and Verve. Like John Coltrane, Henderson had a signature tone and sound that many jazz enthusiasts could often identify by just hearing it. Overall, Joe Henderson played a major role in jazz, including being an important player in bridging the gap between the hard bop days of the late sixties and the more funky fusion jazz music that came out of the seventies. Even though it saddens me that the jazz great is no longer with us, passing away in 2001 at the way too young age of 64, it's always good to know that he left behind so much music to enjoy in his memory.
Happy Birthday Joe!
Joe Henderson - If You're Not Part Of The Solution, You're Part Of The Problem
Joe Henderson - Foregone Conclusion
Joe Henderson - Afro-Centric
Joe Henderson - Las Palmas
Here is a 90-minute mix I put together back in February featuring a choice selection of personal favorites recorded by the saxophonist during both his time with Blue Note and Milestone Records.
Joe Henderson SFJAZZ Hotplate Mix
Playlist Stream Audio | Download
01. Joe Henderson - "Tress-Cun-Deo-La" - 1961
02. Joe Henderson - "Power To The People" - 1969
03. Joe Henderson - "Foregone Conclusion" - 1972
04. Joe Henderson - "El Barrio" - 1965
05. Joe Henderson - "Las Palmas" - 1975
06. Joe Henderson Sextet - "Mamacita" - 1967
07. Joe Henderson - "Caribbean Fire Dance" - 1966
08. Joe Henderson - "Afro-Centric" - 1969
09. Joe Henderson - "Terra Firma" - 1972
10. Joe Henderson - "Fire" - 1974
11. Joe Henderson Quintet - "If You're Not Part of The Solution, You're Part of the Problem" - 1970