Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Eminent Jay Jay Johnson


First off, I want to apologize for the lack of updates over the past two weeks. I've been extremely busy at my day job with SFJAZZ getting ready for our first season in the brand new SFJAZZ Center.

Speaking of SFJAZZ, TONIGHT is Hotplate at the Amnesia Bar (853 Valencia Street, SF). This month will feature Mike Ritna paying tribute to legendary jazz trombonist JJ Johnson (aka Jay Jay Johnson). I will be starting things off at 8pm, spinning an hour long deejay set full of mostly 50's and 60's era bebop gems.

With that being said, I thought I would feature one of my favorite recordings from JJ Johnson titled "Old Devil Moon". This slightly funky groovin' bebop gem was included on the trombonist's 1955 classic Blue Note Records release The Eminent Jay Jay Johnson Vol. 1. The record features an amazing lineup that includes many other legendary artists like Charlie Mingus (bass), Sabu Martinez (congas), Kenny Clarke (drums), Clifford Brown (trumpet), Jimmy Heath (tenor & baritone saxophones), Wynton Kelly (piano) and others. Overall, a brilliant track from what many critics arguably consider as the greatest trombonist in the history of jazz. ENJOY!

JJ Johnson - Old Devil Moon


No comments:

Post a Comment