Thursday, May 10, 2012

Roy Hargrove's Crisol - Afrodisia


With TONIGHT being SFJAZZ Hotplate at the Amnesia Bar (853 Valencia Street) in San Francisco, I thought I would feature one of my favorite tracks recorded by Roy Hargrove's Crisol in "Afrodisia". This funky Latin-jazz gem, which was originally written(I believe) by legendary trumpeter Kenny Dorham, was just one of the many amazing cuts off Hargrove's 1997 "Habana" album. The record includes an amazing cast of musicians including Gary Bartz(alto & soprano saxophone), Chucho Valdés (piano), John Benitez (bass), Horacio "El Negro" Hernandez (drums) and a host of others. I think the only disappointing thing that surrounds this album is that it was the only release from this particular project. Definitely one of the many highlights from Hargrove's very diverse music career. Enjoy!

Roy Hargrove's Crisol - Afrodisia


No comments:

Post a Comment