Thursday, May 3, 2012

Ahmad Jamal Trio - The Awakening


Tomorrow night, SFJAZZ will be honoring legendary jazz pianist and composer Ahmad Jamal. I will be deejaying a short set during the event (around 10:30PM), which will be streamed live on the SFJAZZ website starting at 7PM PST. Ahmad Jamal is easily one of my all-time favorite jazz musicians, therefore it's a great honor for me to be included on this event. To help pay tribute to this jazz great, I thought today I would feature the track "Patterns" off my favorite record of his, which is The Awakening. This track represents just one of the many brilliant moments off this amazing recording, which was released back in 1970 off of Impulse!. In my opinion, this album finds Ahmad Jamal at his best, combining his overall signature sound with a number of uptempo groove oriented compositions written by himself, Herbie Hancock, Oliver Nelson, Antonio Carlos Jobim and others. Just one of the many landmark recordings for one of jazz music's true icons. ENJOY!

Ahmad Jamal Trio - Patterns


No comments:

Post a Comment