Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Stanley Cowell - New World


I just recently returned from a quick weekend trip to New York City where I spent much of my time diggin' for records at the numerous shops around the city. I came away with many good finds including the album I'm featuring today which is Stanley Cowell's 1981 hard-to-find New World LP. This record which blends modal tones with an overall soul-jazz vibe features a number of solid tracks including "Come Sunday", "Island of Haitoo", "I'm Trying to Find a Way", and the cosmic jazz gem "El Space-O". Cowell is backed by a number jazz heavy-weights including Eddie Henderson (trumpet), Cecil McBee (bass), Roy Haynes (drums), Kenneth Nash (additional percussion) and others. Overall, another solid release from one of jazz music's most innovative jazz pianists.

Stanley Cowell - El Space-O


No comments:

Post a Comment